Developing leadership and agency
We will develop students as leaders and change-makers by emphasizing student agency, encouraging risk-taking, providing opportunities for collaboration and communication, reinforcing the Profile of a Learner, and mentoring and modeling leadership ideals.
Why leadership and Agency Matter
First Year Action Steps
- Create a committee/task force with student input on this initiative.
- Reinstitute Professional Learning Communities (PLC) structure centered on strategic initiatives.
- Increase opportunities to engage with the Learner Profile and amplify the use of these characteristics. Encourage reflection and recognize growth. (ex: use in daily lessons, student reflection, student-led conferences, teacher reflection)
- Further develop leadership and character development structures in all divisions.
- EY/ES: Create a version of the Profile of a Learner (“I can” statements).
- MS: Continue developing the MS advisory program with an emphasis on positive character traits and the learner profile, create a leadership elective for 8th graders.
- HS: Reinstitute student leadership team and create student-centered initiatives. Host leadership seminar for students who would like to further develop leadership skills.
- Explore, define, and articulate opportunities for service learning and community service.
- Establish a list of community members/resources for service learning, internships, mentorships, and speakers to utilize in our programming (connection to local community).
- Develop and/or promote student created publications/media that share student initiatives.
- Create systems/opportunities for students to share and communicate with students in other grade levels through sharing their learning and creating partnerships.